Title: Birds, not Mosquitoes Outreach Manager
Supervisor: Hawai‘i Program Director
Location: Hawai‘i (specific island flexible)
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $70k/yearly depending on experience
We seek a capable, enthusiastic person to lead and coordinate community engagement and outreach communications for the Birds, Not Mosquitoes (BNM) partnership. This project is working to use the Incompatible Insect Technique to suppress mosquito populations at a landscape-scale in Hawai‘i. The project’s goal is to advance this technology to protect Hawai‘i’s native forest birds from avian malaria. This position will coordinate a broad range of outreach activities with representatives from a coalition of state, federal, and private/NGO entities including communications specialists from across the state, as well as working closely with American Bird Conservancy’s Hawai‘i Program Director. The Outreach Manager will facilitate and lead BNM communications meetings and working group activities, made up of staff from the aforementioned coalition. They will organize and lead virtual and in-person outreach and education activities involving the public, internal and external stakeholders, elected officials, and others to re-establish people’s relationships with the mostly unknown Hawaiian birds. The Manager will lead and work with partners on producing outreach videos, pamphlets, banners, demonstration materials, website and social media content, and other communications products. The Outreach Manager will supervise additional associates and communications staff.
- Lead implementation of BNM’s community engagement activities across the Hawaiian Islands, support and collaborate with partners to successfully communicate the goals and activities of this project with a wide audience.
- Develop, schedule, and conduct presentations, workshops, and events to scientific and non-scientific groups, including key stakeholders, community members, elected officials, and the general public in the Hawaiian Islands.
- Create, develop, and produce outreach materials (e.g., infographics, social media content, webpages, and others) to facilitate understanding of difficult concepts to all different audiences.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to deliver key outreach messages. Change and update messaging and approaches based on community and stakeholder input. Collaborate with BNM partners to adaptively update and maintain the project’s community engagement plan.
- Coordinate project response to communication crises, media requests, and public concerns about regulatory, compliance, and implementation activities.
- Supervise and guide additional communications staff in producing outreach content.
- Maintain close, positive relationships among state, federal, and private/NGO steering committee partners to facilitate inter-agency agreement on, and support for, communications strategies and activities.
- Lead meeting organization, schedules, agendas, and minutes for community engagement activities, and assist Hawai‘i Program Director with additional meeting organization and scheduling for other BNM meetings.
- Assist and support Hawai‘i Program Director in advancing goals and objectives of BNM and ABC.
- Assist and support Hawai‘i Program Director in fundraising efforts.
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings, flexible schedule, etc.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply on Paylocity.
*We will begin reviewing applications on 12/04/23 and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.