Position Title: Kupu Resource Personnel Program: HYCC Extended Internship Program
Location: Oʻahu (Department of Education schools)
Kupu is a 501c3 nonprofit organization which aims to empower youth to serve their communities through character building, service learning, and environmental stewardship. Kupu aims to train and equip young adults in Hawaii and throughout the Pacific Rim with work skills, life skills, and knowledge to help them become successful as individuals and as part of the greater community. Kupu is staffed by people with a heart to better Hawaii while working as a team with a purpose of doing what is pono and doing what is best for Hawaii and its people. Kupu is a team-focused, vibrant, and synergistic organization whose culture is dynamic and seeks to make a larger impact on Hawaii.
The Kupu Resource Personnel will work with teachers and students providing support in Natural Resource Management and environmental science. The Kupu Resource Personnel will help to run or start after-school Eco/Green clubs and will organize community service projects with the students. Kupu Resource Personnel will organize field trips to conservation sites in the school’s ahupua’a.
• Assist with teaching of natural resource management curriculum
• Assist with coordinating research projects, data collection, project tracking, and preparation of reports
• Assist with developing and running Eco and Green clubs at DOE schools
• Assist with developing school gardens, aquaponics systems, etc.
• Assist with developing and coordinating natural resources related service and learning opportunities.
• Excellent organizational, written and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with varied audiences
• Ability to manage and mentor groups of students
• Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Education, Ecology, Botany, Biology, Zoology, Natural Resources and Environmental Management, Forestry, Hawaiian Studies or closely related field
• 1-2 years related work experience in education, natural resource management
•Bachelor's Degree in Education or Natural Resource Management
• Past Teaching Experience
• Familiarity with natural and cultural resources and landscapes
• Experience working with high school age young adults
• Full-time members are eligible to receive healthcare benefits should they not currently have a health plan.
• Full-time members are eligible for loan forbearance.
• If applicable, a child care allowance will be provided by the Corporation directly to the provider, if the member qualifies for the allowance.
• Upon successful completion of the member’s term of service, the member will receive an education award from the National Service Trust in the amount of $5,550.
Visit the Kupu Career Opportunities website http://kupuhawaii.org and select HYCC – Extended Internship (EIP) under Quick Links. Applications will be accepted until July 19, 2013.